CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Denial



Often I have been asked the question "What is your favorite dessert?". I would hum and hah, then come up with something I only get during Christmas, or some other divine holiday. It would always be something fancy, like cheese cake, creme brulee or triple-chocolate-raspberry-fantasy-death-cake. But really, all that time I was in denial. My favorite dessert for sure? The good ol' trustworthy cookie, any cookie, chocolate chip, snicker doodles, chocolate crinkles, gingersnaps, spritz, oatmeal raisin, peanut butter, white chocolate macadamia nut.. the list goes on.

I do have some guidelines however, first: homemade cookies, or bakery fresh cookies always win, cookies aren't meant to be crispy and hard. Second: If a cookie is homemade it should be slightly soft, a bit chewy and have a hint of crisp unless the type of cookie suggests otherwise (aka oatmeal lace) Third: A cookie, if it contains chocolate chips, or any other chips, is best enjoyed warm, and with milk, the exception is applesauce chocolate chip cookies. For the sake of time I won't continue on my OCD attitude of cookies, but consider the other reedemable qualities of the cookie, it is easy to make, contains common household ingredients, comes in perfect proportions, is versatile and portable-requiring no utensils. Cookies are classic, for me coming home from late activities to a plate of warm chocolate chip cookies and a class of cold milk was the most satisfying thing, better then cheese cake or creme brulee, the cookie really does hold supreme.

4 comments:

Alex said...

I agree there are not many better comfort foods than a hot and homemade cookie. I may be biased, but my mom makes the best haha.

bean said...

Its weird how if you try to hard to make this fancy thing sometimes it is not as good as the simple cookie. Snickerdoodles I'd have to say are my all time favorite. Cinnamon makes everything taste better.

Taylor_tots said...

I enjoy cookies as well. My fiance really likes cookies, so much that it is one of the things on our reception menu. There were all these high class items to choose from like creme bruelle and what have you...but of course we chose cookies for the same price.

Courtney said...

mmm cookies are wonderful and now I have to go through the day resisting the urge to indulge! I can never have just one. My family makes what we call "Chocolate Chip Boulder cookies." They are more like a meal than a cookie, and many people can't finish one. We make tgem very thick and bake them so that there is still a little bit of raw cookie dough in the middle...it's just fantastic.